Sewing the Dream | Chapter 1: Will it fit?

Hi – my name’s Angie and I am lucky enough to live on the beautiful Isle of Man – a little island right in the middle of the Irish Sea between the UK and Ireland.  This is the first of a series of blogs about my adventures with the fabulous Brother XV – or Dream Machine, as she is known in the States.


When I told my embroidery and sewing friends that I would be getting an XV to a man – or rather to a woman – they exclaimed, “Where on earth will you put it”?  “Can you even get it through your front door?”  So early on the day, I prepared for an enormous box to be delivered.  Rest assured – that machine would get inside the house, even if I had to take out a window to do it!  My fears were NOT allayed when I called the courier company to be told that it was out for delivery but was a “two man job”  (My poor husband overheard “two VAN job” ….)

But, sure enough, later that day the courier hove into sight and two young men emerged.  Both taking one end of the box they carried it up our lane (too narrow for the van) and it fitted perfectly through the front door and was carried straight into the dining room to be unpacked.

Now I had intended to make this first blog an ‘unpacking’ blog but truth to tell I simply got completely over-excited and just waded in there!  (I apparently really did do the Happy Dance – but fortunately, there is no visual record of that).  So it was not very long before she was set up in my sewing room to be cooed over by me while my husband wrestled the box into one of the outhouses.

(IMPORTANT NOTE:  DO keep the packing and the box against the time you have to send your machine off for service, move house or whatever.  It really does give you peace of mind knowing that your machine is safely packed and protected.  You can always flatten the box down and slide it under the bed, or put it in the loft along with its polystyrene packaging. )

So – machine is set up and husband points out that my previous machine needs a new home.  Without prompting from me he says “Let’s move the bed sofa out (sewing room doubled as a guest room) and put the pine dining room table in there.  That way you can still have access to your former machine as back up” (I mean – what a keeper right?)

Meanwhile – while said Saint goes out for fish and chips as he realised he would not get fed otherwise – I attach the embroidery unit (easy peasy) and start up my machine.


The first thing I notice is the sheer size of the screen!  It really is as big as an iPad!  No more squinting at the screen trying to work out exactly which design you want.  The thumbnails are very clear and a good size and when you turn on the machine there is a lovely sequence of music and film - a lovely welcome.











Now I don't know about you but when I get a new machine I’m all about the built-in designs!  And the XV doesn’t disappoint!  Page after page of a wide variety of designs.  (I can see more than one there I HAVE to sew out!). And if you are trading up from a Brother Innovis V5 as I was you will be delighted to see all your old favourites right there with some new ones too.









The big screen also comes into its own when you want to find out how to do something.  There are a whole lot of videos covering a wide variety of functions from basic sewing to embroidery tips like threading an hooping. Clearly, I will need to sit down with a big cup of coffee and watch these!

Turning my attention to the accessories box and polystyrene tray in which the hoops were packed, I am delighted to find hoops* in a useful variety of sizes including a ginormous 9x14inch hoop; a 9.5 x 9.5-inch hoop; an 8x12 inch; a 5x7 inch and of course the useful 4x4inch.






There are other interesting things in there too – a special LED embroidery foot; a couching foot; a sensor pen; a thread stand so you can use very large embroidery cones and have them right there on the machine instead of tumbling around on the table behind the machine; a full array of presser feet, some spare bobbin cases, needles, thread caps in various sizes -  even some stabiliser and a reel of bobbin thread.  Some of these are housed in a wonderful accessories box (which has a simple locking mechanism to protect it from tiny, curious fingers perhaps?) 

One of these accessories caught my attention straight away - the screwdriver!  To be honest, whenever I needed to remove the needle or foot or needleplate on my Brother Innovis V5 I just used a 2p piece but this little gadget is wonderful!












There are basically three settings. Setting number one (shown here) is ideal for undoing the screw which holds the presser foot in place. It gives you a good grip but remember - don't take the screw out completely!














Setting number two puts the ‘blade’ at an angle so you can easily remove the two screws holding the needleplate down. You shouldn’t have to do this too often but every now and again it pays to take the needleplate off completely so you can give your machine a quick brush out.  It's surprising how much fluff and general gubbins can gather down under the bobbin case.







But it’s third setting that is a revelation to me!  This setting is invaluable for tightening the hoop so you get a really nice taut hooping. Hitherto I had just tightened the screw on the hoop as tight as I could with my fingers not wanting to overdo it.  Indeed you should NOT over tighten your hoop but this little gadget makes it very easy indeed to get just the right degree of tautness. 



By now, it is beginning to get dark and I am persuaded that I really should get some sleep – so that I am fresh to continue my explorations tomorrow.  Even though I point out that the Brother XV has wonderful bright LED lighting – I reluctantly agree.  I will be up bright and early the next day to explore and play. I’ll share my next steps with you in my next blog post – Sewing the Dream – Chapter 2: First steps.

#sewingthedream

Angela Lawrence
Cinnamon Crafts
Isle of Man

Comments

  1. love you clear explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Angie...this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great discription of your new machine. look forward to reading more from ou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Can you tell I'm having fun?

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is so exciting Angie. Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very enjoyable read and a super start to your blogging journey Angie. Looking forward to the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marion - it's on its way!

      Delete
  6. Wow thank you Angie. Your an inspiration to us all. Love you clear description of everything

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Angie, this is wonderful. Thanks for sharing, great information!! Isle of Man, huh? Sounds like I need to take a trip so we can have an embroidery retreat. I've never been to the Isle of Man....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sun! It's a beautiful place to be sure.

      Delete
  8. Jacqueline Estherby5 October 2017 at 23:00

    I want one ! Good blog.. Fun to read. Can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it Jacqueline! Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  9. Ive been hoping someone will write up about this wonderful machine. Ive now had mine almost 3 years but there is sooooo much to learn so I will be following your blog from now on:) Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now then Karen Just DO it! Make this the weekend you get started!

      Delete
  10. I want a Dream Machine so so so badly!!! Have a blast with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Renee - get on it! You will have SO much fun!

      Delete
  11. Angie great blog I am looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne - on its way! :-)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I am that! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  13. all sounding good so far ... now awaiting your next instalment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I am having SUCH fun! Next instalment coming up!

      Delete
  14. Thank you Angie - I have been following you on Facebook - what an inspiration you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can you tell I am having fun?

      Delete
  15. Great Blog - almost as good as owning one - I need the screwdriver gadget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that little gadget is great - especially the hoop tightening bit! I got mine along with the XV - so .... another reason to get an XV perhaps :-)

      Delete
  16. This is a fun blog to read Angie. I know how exited you are about your new machine and it shines through. Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic write up Angie. Very jealous, and off to harass hubby a bit more ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Sue! Tell him I said you should.....

      Delete
  18. Hi Angie following on this so easy to understand you

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to be part of your blog. Looking forward to reading all you put in it ��

    ReplyDelete
  20. !!! Lovely 'hearing' your excitement and your husbands support. Have one like that too

    ReplyDelete
  21. Angie! You lucky thing you must be so excited, I’m not surprised you couldn’t wait to unpack it!
    (May I ask who you ordered from please? I also live on the Isle of Man and have found some sewing machine shops 'across' unwilling to send here. )
    In the meantime, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - just seen your note! I get all my machines from Bamber's of Manchester - have done since I arrived on the Island over 20 years ago. Give them a call and ask for Alan or Steve Bamber. Tell 'em I sent you! 😁

      Delete
  22. Brilliant Blog Angie ....looking forward to more of the same ! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Babs. The second one is out now as it happens. Have you subscribed?

      Delete

Post a Comment