Sewing the Dream | Chapter 3 - The Wonderful World of Scanning

When I first heard about the scanning capabilities of the Brother XV/Dream Machine I could hardly believe it! Scanning in an image, converting it into an embroidery design and sewing it out - all without the use of external software? It HAD to be more complicated than that!

But guess what!  It really isn’t!

The first thing I did was to create an image of a scarf ring that my daughter gave me for Christmas. I photocopied it, scanned the line image into Design Centre, traced around the lines I wanted (and erased the ones I didn’t) until I had something I was happy with. I then layered up grey linen on top of beige linen and did a test stitch out. A little more tweaking, copying and pasting the design twice more and I had the front panel of a makeup bag. (Incidentally, I made the back panel in Design Centre too using one of the built-in quilt fills)


Now I was ready to try making my own embroidered fabric!

For this I needed a very clear black and white design which I found on the Internet.

NOTE:  Be very careful about what you download from the Internet in terms of what is copyright free and what is not. The world of copyright law is extremely complex and you need to make sure that you do not fall foul of it.


So, having found something I liked, I downloaded it and printed off a nice clear copy. Going into Design Centre I then scanned it in using the ‘Line’ setting.

A little editing - taking out stitches I didn’t want and selecting a simple outline stitch - and I soon had my embroidered fabric. Stitched in white on a lightweight denim it makes a lovely little bag I think.


Finally - I decided to explore a little more and experiment with some filled areas.  Starting in the same way I took a clear outline, scanned it in, removed the parts I did not want and chose the double run stitch for the outlines. However, this time I used region fill to fill in different parts of the design to come up with the Scandinavian style bag.

So there you have it! Scanning! Once you have done one you HAVE to do more! Word of warning - you can spend ages playing with your scanned images until you are completely happy but it is SO much fun!

Comments

Post a Comment